Our wardrobe can become a tool to take care of the environment. Find out how in this article
The textile industry is one of the most polluting in the world for the chemicals and resources that are used to produce articles, accessories, and clothing. Despite this, we can turn our wardrobe into a great tool to take care of the environment and detoxify it from things that we do not longer use.
Leer en español: Desintoxica tu armario y hazlo eco amigable
Follow these tips and make your closet ecofriendly:
- Organize and simplify: in our closets we usually accumulate many garments and accessories, but the truth is that we do not use everything there. That's why our advice is to evaluate what clothes and items you no longer use. Leave only the clothes you wear regularly.
- Do not throw them away: if the clothes and accessories that you no longer use are in good condition, you can sell them or donate them. In the first case, there are several groups on Facebook and platforms such as Amazon where you can offer those clothes that you have stopped using. In the second case, you can contribute to the work of the foundations that help the neediest.
- Take care of your clothes: try to put them to good use so that you can extend their duration. You will have to buy less.
- Purchase second-hand clothes: we do not usually buy this type of garments, because we prefer to wear new ones, or we do not feel comfortable wearing strangers' clothes. However, buying used clothes should not scare you. On the one hand, you will find vintage garments that are once again fashionable and at a cheaper price.
On the other hand, second-hand clothes are washed before they go on sale, so you do not have to worry about them being dirty. In any case, you can always wash these clothes in your house and make sure they are clean.
- If you're getting married, you can rent or buy a second-hand wedding dress and you'll also save money. The same applies to the groom, as you will find businesses dedicated to rent tuxedos for every occasion.
- Purchase organic and sustainable: today, it is easier to find brands that manufacture their clothing line with sustainable products and organic materials. For example, you can find garments made with bamboo or soy and that do not use petroleum-based materials. This information can be found on the label of the garment.
- Local or national purchase: the transfer of goods is harmful because of the amount of fossil fuel that is burned to move them. Therefore, it is advisable to buy clothes from local or national brands that do not have to travel long distances.
- Do not cave in to sales: discounts make us buy more things that sometimes we do not need. When you're in the store, make sure that what you want to carry is really necessary or think if it's just an impulse.
LatinAmerican Post | Marcela Peñaloza
Translated from “Desintoxica tu armario y hazlo eco amigable”
Listen this article