Find here 5 essential habits to maintain good physical and mental health during pregnancy and ensure the proper development of your baby
Although each body is different, there are certain practices that are essential to maintain the health of the mother, understood as physical and emotional balance, and ensure the proper development of the baby.
Leer en español: Cuida a tu bebé: 5 hábitos para un embarazo saludable
Find here 5 habits that, when incorporated, will help you face motherhood in a healthy way:
1. Watch your diet: it is important to throw away the belief that a pregnant woman should eat for two. In a study published in the American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, obstetrician and gynecologist Gladys Ramos talks about the complications that overweight can cause during pregnancy, including diabetes, pre-malady, or giving birth to babies with future obesity problems.
In addition, according to the Nutritionist Teresa Gaztañaga, for the newspaper El Heraldo, "not taking care of food during pregnancy can cause the mother to suffer listeria, salmonella or toxoplasmosis, which would put her future child at serious risk."
Try to eat at least five times a day, include a variety of fruits and vegetables and avoid sausages, unpasteurized dairy, or undercooked meats and fish.
Iodine and folic acid supplements, essential nutrients for the proper development of the baby, are also recommended during pregnancy and lactation.
2. Forget stress: as mentioned at the beginning, mental balance is also fundamental during this stage. Although changes, both bodily and with your environment, can be difficult to carry, try to do activities that distract you and maintain good sleep patterns. Children's guide recommends resting on the left side, with a pillow between the knees slightly bent, to release the pressure exerted by the uterus and ensure your baby a good supply of oxygen.
3. Practice some physical activity: whenever it is not a risk pregnancy, or high risk movements, physical activity is highly recommended for mothers. It will allow you to be in shape, it will help you to release stress, improve blood circulation, and rest much better. According to the daily “Bebés y más”, among the activities preferred by pregnant women are walking, swimming, yoga, or pilates exercises.
Also read: How to stimulate your baby in the womb?
4. No tobacco nor alcohol: according to the Vital Diary, both substances must be totally eliminated during pregnancy. The nicotine in the cigarette causes the blood vessels to narrow, resulting in less oxygen and nutrients for the baby. Preterm births, sudden infant death, and asthma problems in these children are also more frequent.
On the other hand, alcohol can lead to a delay in the areas of language, thought, movement and social skills, in addition to growth problems, mental or behavioral.
5. Sex: many women fear having sex with their partner during pregnancy, but doctors recommend it to those women who have no risk because it is known that the neurotransmitters that are released during orgasm are also pleasant for the baby in training .
In addition, according to the opinion newspaper, sex has many benefits for pregnant women, including improved self-esteem, quality of sleep and maintains the relationship at optimal levels.
LatinAmerican Post | Luisa Báez
Translated from “5 hábitos saludables que deberías practicar durante el embarazo”